The Daily Whine

Whatever my whine for the day is (and sometimes a Wine as well) But also includes rants and raves about my favorite two authors - Tolkien and Lewis. Currently working on the "Why the Eagle couldn't take the ring" Theory to be published in mid January.

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Politically Correct

It first started when the high school my dad went to was forced to changed there mascot from the black bears to just bears because the term black was politically incorrect. (Have the changed the name of the actual black bear? Is he offended by being called black?) It was one thing when the the flag girls in a marching band were allowed to be 300 pounds and poured into skin tight velour costumes. I could just not watch. Then they lifted weight requirements for twirlers and dance team members who wore little skimpy outfits. Then they began attacking teams with "Indian" names like the braves, the redskins, etc, which included my own beloved Martin High School Warriors. Fortunately most of those haven't changed.

And now this. I returned to the University of Alabama for our annual homecoming. This is a decades if not centuries old tradition in which we get to see who the student body elected as Homecoming Queen. This year we were in for a surprise. Not only did they elect a queen, they also elected a king, the "Capstone Gentlman." Now why on earth would the guys all of a sudden want to be a part of this? You don't want us to be on your football team, which is fine by my me. I don't think this game was meant for girls. (Sorry that's a whole other blog) What's next a Rose King? I sure hope not. What happened to tradition. These aren't traditions that are hurting people. This isn't the tradition of being a KKK member being handed down, things that hurt or teach hate. It's a college football game for crying out loud. Leave it alone people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home