The Daily Whine

Whatever my whine for the day is (and sometimes a Wine as well) But also includes rants and raves about my favorite two authors - Tolkien and Lewis. Currently working on the "Why the Eagle couldn't take the ring" Theory to be published in mid January.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

This Weeks Wine

While looking all over town for a wine that had been recommended to me, I happened upon a small local package store. I ran in to see if they had the wine, and a vacuum system for my wine bottles. He didn't have the wine, however he recommended a great wine in its place.

More about the wonderful wines in a moment. To continue on my customer service rant, I went to buy the vacuum system - a sure sell as it was what I came in for, he told me not to buy one. It is just another product you don't need that manufacturers want you to spend your money on. He also offered to order the wine he didn't have in stock. His prices are by no means the lowest in the area, but his customer service was tops. This is now my wine guy. And, although I always have considered myself to be quite a connoisseur of wines, he taught me something new.

We all know red wines should decant at least an hour and be served at room temperature (68F), but did you know that you should store your opened reds in the refrigerator, perferably uncorked, but cork if you must. Then the next day remove the wine from the refrigerator an hour or so before you are ready for it to bring it up to room temperature. The wine will keep 3-4 days this way. It is best on the third day. I thought this was odd and against everything I had ever heard. But, I tried it. It worked. The Castano was incredible by the 3rd day.

I will warn you the Castano is an unfiltered wine, and is actually better decanted awhile longer, but if you can get past the sediment, it is an incredible wine. If you love red wine I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home